[vcf-midatlantic] A Tale of Two NeXTstations

Adam Michlin amichlin at swerlin.com
Sun Feb 4 08:57:24 EST 2018

On 2/4/2018 6:22 AM, Lou via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> Great to hear you got one of the NeXTstations working! I might actually be
> heading up to the museum today with the missus so it would actually be neat
> to see one of these working in person (especially since I will be getting
> my hands on a complete unit soon).
>
> As for the other unit and hardware password, have you tried booting it
> without the PRAM battery? I read somewhere that the PRAM stores the
> hardware password and booting it without the battery installed (and waiting
> a few minutes) it will try to boot from network but can be configured to
> drive. I do not know if this was attempted yet but in any case if we are
> heading up today we can talk more about it if the museum isn't swamped.
>
> Here's hoping we can figure this out!

I'm pretty sure the hardware password isn't preserved by the battery. A dead battery (or no battery) on a NeXT (at least a station, I can't comment on a cube, any one want to donate one?!) equates to a seemingly dead computer. Press the power key on the keyboard and nothing happens. Then, to add insult to injury, when you put a fresh battery in, it defaults to netboot... which presents itself as if the HD has failed (unless you just happen to hook it up to a network that can netboot a NeXt.. riiiight).

So no joy when it comes to booting with the battery. But such joy to know you might get to enjoy the display machine today!

     -Adam