[vcf-midatlantic] Can PD-1 LF-1094C drive read NeXT optical disk cartridges?

Eric Rangell erangell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 06:36:29 EST 2018

Hello all,
I recently visited the Large Scale Systems Museum in New Kensington, PA, and one of the NeXT boxes had an optical drive.
I have a Compaq Presario 9240 from the late 1990s which came with a PD-1 LF-1094C drive that is driven by an Opti Dual PCI IDE Controller on IRQ 14.

Here is a picture of the optical drive with a cartridge:
http://erangellcomblog.azurewebsites.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/PD1drive.jpg <http://erangellcomblog.azurewebsites.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/PD1drive.jpg>

Does anyone think this drive can read the raw data from a NeXT cartridge so it can be saved somewhere else?
I can bring it to an upcoming workshop if someone wants to hack on it.

I will also be at the lecture by Alice Bowman on 2/24 at Infoage, so let me know if anyone is going and would like to meet up.
Thanks,
Eric Rangell