[vcf-midatlantic] Museum report: terminals

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 14:58:53 EDT 2018

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 2:23 PM, Herb Johnson via vcf-midatlantic
> I'll be blunt to be brief. A heatgun on a messy, gooey, HOT, CRT is too
> dangerous and takes too long, in my opinion. I won't do it. Ian and others
> may do such things. "There are old pilots, there are bold pilots, but there
> aren't many old, bold pilots."

I am not endorsing the heat gun method.  I did my one cold, by using a
wire as a "saw" to cut through the PVA.  I have heard that using a
nichrome wire cuts through it like butter but that's not what I did.
It took time and it left a fair mess to clean up with plastic scrapers
and alcohol.  I was only doing one so I wasn't trying to optimize the
process.  I was working slow and careful and it all came out fine.

It comes down to time/effort vs value of return.  I would almost
certainly choose another approach if I had a gaylord of terminals to
process.

-ethan