[vcf-midatlantic] Museum report: terminals

Douglas Crawford touchetek at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 21:49:36 EDT 2018

On 7/9/2018 2:35 PM, systems_glitch via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> If you don't like the idea of heat gunning a tube, there are other methods:
> I've seen them floated off over an extended period in room-temperature
> water, or heated by placing face-up in the sun with a black trash bag over
> the front.
>
> I've done the heat gun method, you don't need to get it crazy hot, and in
> my experience the PVA layer pretty much peels off, if you do it right. It
> leaves slimy residue on the safety glass and the tube, but this comes off
> with alcohol. I stuck my CRTs in a 5-gallon bucket and only heated the face
> of it. It would've been uncomfortable to hold the safety glass, but not so
> hot as to burn you.
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan
>
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 2:23 PM, Herb Johnson via vcf-midatlantic <

Pardons if this gets posted twice,
I did not get notification of the first one being received by the
message board system.
I heated the tube with a work light.  I think Ian suggested this to me.
About 20 minutes or so?  Not sure.  Monitored progress with a thermometer.
Here's my pics.
https://imgur.com/a/eS4ybZo