[vcf-midatlantic] Known-good IBM joystick?

Evan Koblentz evan at vcfed.org
Tue Jul 10 11:53:31 EDT 2018

I'm using a Compaq Portable III (286). I forgot the card brand but I
vaguely recall it might also be Kraft. I'm programming in the BASICA from
the correct Compaq-branded boot disk. I use the STICK command; not
PEEK/POKE.

I can test the same joystick against the Apple side tomorrow.

In a test program, I was only getting a range of about 5 to 195, vs. 0-255.

To "port" the code from Apple to IBM platform, I replaced the Applesoft
PDL(0) and PDL(1) commands with STICK.

The way my code works is, when I move the stick beyond a neutral range
(say, within 75 of either end), then it turns on the robot motors on the
correct directions.

The logic is fine: works with the Apple joystick on the Laser 128, and as I
said I'll test that again with the Kraft tomorrow on the Laser.

But when I tried it on the Compaq, only two of the directions work
correctly. It was something like left and forward; I forget exactly. One
other direction turns on the wrong bits (1 and 4, same as its opposite
direction, rather than 2 and 3 which it should be), even though I'm a
million percent certain the code is right. Another direction works (bits 2
and 4) if I move the stick to its extreme edge, but while en route it turns
on bit 3 for a second. That makes no sense! That's why I think the stick
might be funky or somehow misadjusted even if it does work on the Apple
side.

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018, 9:36 AM Bill Degnan via vcf-midatlantic <