[vcf-midatlantic] Known-good IBM joystick?

Evan Koblentz evan at vcfed.org
Thu Jul 12 00:28:49 EDT 2018

Today's updates on the joystick saga:

- I confirmed that the same joystick I was using works fine on an Apple II.

- VCFed owns about a half-dozen combo Apple/IBM joysticks, but they're
all the same kind.

- I tried Paul's suggestion of checking STICK(0) first. Unfortunately it
did not help.

- I temporarily programmed the robot to move based on keyboard input (I,
J, K, M). I'll program the buttons next time; already know how. Will
probably use U and O.

- The way the logic works, if you keep the joystick held in one
position, the robot keeps moving until you release it. The same logic
does not work for the keyboard control: I can tell because the interface
box LEDs flash rather than stay solid. That would lead to the motors
stuttering. No time to diagnose that, so I removed the opening M=0 which
put the robot in a state of constant movement (press a key, the motors
stay on, rather than having to hold down the key) -- and thus I had to
add the space bar as a brake (pressing it resets M to zero).

So now I have a working demo. It works the opposite of the Apple control
method. I could tell people that's by design to show two different ways
:) but I think what I really need is a known-good IBM-only joystick to
test it with my preferred (original) way. Somebody on this list has to
have one!!

Does anybody have one they can loan me? I would need it ASAP in order to
test it by next Wednesday (my final time at the museum before HOPE).