[vcf-midatlantic] {vcf-midatlantic] [Semi-OT] 3D Printing Replacement Parts

Dan Roganti ragooman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 18:11:28 EST 2018

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 11:43 AM, Herb Johnson via vcf-midatlantic <

> Dave McGuire did not post about "incredible things" made, but in fact
> CREDIBLE things - like that finger splint. He could have used popsickle
> sticks and string; but his local printer + thingiverse design = useful
> widget.  (shrug) 3D printers may simply become like waffle irons and
> pancake mix: something you do when needed and ignored soon after. Of course
> they could do more; like icecream cones. ;)

​I don't see how posting about incredible points of fact is
useless/impractical versus credible, perhaps you meant being ambitious vs.
practical. Because I think it serves to enlighten people about the state of
technology available today.
At work, where we develop end-to-end motion control systems, one of our
many fields involves additive manufacturing, eg. 3D Printing. While
Makerbot was hitting the consumer market with their initial foray into 3D
printing with their Cupcake 3D Printer over 6 yrs ago, and the open-source
3D Printing group called Rep-Rap was still in it's infancy,  we were
delivering system capable of printing with biological tissue on the
cellular level. Our client was a medical researcher out of Harvard
developing 3D Printed Human organs. This includes a complete selection of
tissue membranes and vascular structure. And human trials were already
successful for the human bladder, and next up are kidneys. You can find his
presentation on Ted Talk. This work has already spawned several companies
into expanding organ transplants.
I'm hoping I can get an employee discount !
Dan

​

--
 _  ____