[vcf-midatlantic] Help Needed for Science Fair with Commodore 64, PET & VIC-20

C.J. Slade basicprogrammer10 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 08:55:14 EDT 2018

Dear Randy,

Thank you so much for your offer to help with this project.  Connor is so excited to possibly include additional vintage computers!

It would be great if you could test the Tandy Coco3 and Tandy model 100.  He’s been researching these as well.  If you have time to do the tests on Atari 800xl and trs model 1, then he would add to the results as well.

Thank you!

Jen & Connor.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 11, 2018, at 11:17 PM, Randall Kindig <randall.kindig at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Oh, and have the TRS-80 Model I and Tandy Model 100 out and available as well.  I’m not sure how many computers Connor wants to include.
>
> Randy
>

>> On Mar 11, 2018, at 11:16 PM, Randall Kindig <randall.kindig at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Jen, I’d be happy to run these tests on the Atari 800XL and the Tandy CoCo3 as well, if Connor would like to include those results.  I have those machines out and ready to use.
>>
>> Randy
>>

>>> On Mar 11, 2018, at 10:48 PM, C.J. Slade via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi VCF,
>>>
>>> Connor S has come the last 2 workshops at VCF with his Dad and loves
>>> working on vintage computers.  He has been working on the 5th Grade Science
>>> Fair project for the past few months.  Connor is comparing vintage to
>>> modern computers and has been researching and testing the Altair 8800
>>> (clone), Apple II GS, Macintosh SE, iBook G3, Commodore 128 & Mac Book
>>> Air.   He would like to add the C-64, PET & VIC-20, but doesn't have access
>>> to run tests.
>>>
>>> Would someone be willing to run the following 3 tests on the *Commodore 64*,
>>> *Commodore PET *and *Commodore VIC-20 *this week for Connor to include in
>>> his results?
>>>
>>> 1) Boot Time into OS
>>>        Time in seconds from turning on the power switch to computer
>>> fully loaded in OS
>>>
>>> 2) Highest factorial calculated (BASIC; Hope I typed his program
>>> correctly)
>>>      Connor's guess it that the PET & VIC-20 will only be able to
>>> calculate 33 factorial.
>>>
>>> 10 INPUT "NUMBER"; A
>>> 20 B = A
>>> 30 B = B - 1
>>> 40 PRINT A "*" B
>>> 50 A = A * B
>>> 60 PRINT A
>>> 70 IF B > 1 GOTO 30
>>> 80 END
>>>
>>> 3) Time (in minutes) to count to 10,000 in BASIC using this program.
>>>
>>> 10 I = 0
>>> 20 PRINT I
>>> 30 I = I + 1
>>> 40 IF I < 9999 GOTO 20