[vcf-midatlantic] Looking for weight of vintage computers for Science Fair Project

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Fri Mar 16 21:35:00 EDT 2018

On 03/16/2018 08:54 PM, Connor S via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> Thank you to all who have helped with Connor's science fair project
> comparing 13 micro-computers!  We've been learning so much and greatly
> appreciate the help testing and interpreting data so far.  Connor S. has
> put together some graphs on time to boot, factorial calculations & time to
> count to 1,000,000.  He also made a comparison table based on information
> we could find on each computer.  We've had difficulty locating the weight
> of some computers on-line.
>
> If anyone can help, we are still looking for the approx. weight of the
> following computers.  (Weight should include computer, disk drives &
> monitor, if possible)

32 ounces of water roughly weighs 4 lbs (weight of my water bottle).

Not sure of the monitor but should weight the same for the C64, Vic20, 800xl
and CoCo. Here's the following (roughly, no scale):

Wide Screen laptop weights 8 to 10 lbs (with power)

> - Atari 800 XL
7 lbs with power supply (power supplies varied)
7 lbs with disk drive and power supply (each)

> - TRS CoCo 3
4 lbs with power
6 -8 lbs (some drive have heavy power supplies (each)

The drives get a bit complicated. Some 5 1/4 full height drives were
heavy. The half height 5 1/4 were lighter. 3 1/2 even lighter. 8"
drives are ridiculously heavy. OS9 (NitrOS9 can use all the above).
8" drive were less likely in hobbyist circles so were 3 1/2.

> -Tandy model 1024-5 lbs with wall wart, disk drive (yes it had one) and batteries

I'm sure others can fine tune this
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com