[vcf-midatlantic] Fwd: Re: Museum report

David Gesswein djg at pdp8online.com
Mon Mar 19 07:39:39 EDT 2018

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 12:33:24AM -0400, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> Thank you Doug/David.
>
> I only used a small amount of Goof Off but it didn't work anyhow.
> Maybe because the instructions say to let it dissolve the residue
> for a couple of minutes, however, this is a vertical panel so when I
> put it onto the residue most of it just dripped down. What's a
> better method, other than removing the panels (not so easy to do; it
> requires removing whole components not just typical latch-on
> panels.)

Some of the citrus oil products like goo gone come in different thicknesses.
The thicker ones stay in place better. You can also tape in place a rag
wet with the stuff though since it disolves adhesive you need to keep
it away from where the tape is taped down.

This is what I do as I move through my removal products.

For the first removal test pick a spot where it will be less visible if any
problems. Do it by hand wiping with a rag frequently that will show the
paint color. As long as its only mildly attacking the paint you can normally
see some residue on the rag before the damage becomes that noticable.

If there is actual plastic film left from the tape the products won't
work well since they can't get to the adhesive. I put it on and let it
work under a little then carefully work at the edges with fingermail trying
to loosen it so the stuff can work its way under more.  Really old masking
tape also seems to get hard to disolve.

Similar products I have round De-Solv-it. Quite runny. Goo gone pro power
is thicker. Haven't used it much yet. I think I got it at home depot.