[vcf-midatlantic] VAX 101 class - need a VAX does VMS even matter anymore?

Joseph Oprysko joprysko1 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 23:48:31 EDT 2018

Sounds like a very interesting class. I would be interested in expanding my
vintage system knowledge beyond the “home” computers. I have used SimH to
run HP Timeshare BASIC, but never got into VMS.

Bill - i will message you off list

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 11:18 AM Brian Schenkenberger via vcf-midatlantic <

> Bill Degnan via vcf-midatlantic writes:
>
> >I will be teaching a VMS 101 class - the basics for those who want to
> >*get started with* VMS (using a VAX, Alpha, or even simH). If you are a
> >VMS ringer you might be bored but you're invited too.  Why VMS? perhaps
> >you want to learn about the dawn of the WWW era Internet or you like to
> >program in C but find ancient UNIX under-developed.  Maybe you simply
> >have a burning desire to expand your horizons beyond what one can do
> >from the BASIC prompt of an Atari 800.
> >
> >I will put VMS in historic perspective.  I will talk about the rise and
> >fall of VMS.    - Yes it's still used today but there was a time when
>
> Fall?  Two new VMS sales here in the past month.

Normal Person: So you go surfing?
lot...
Normal Person: Huh? Huh? What?