[vcf-midatlantic] Interesting article about preserving Apple software (not hardware)

Henry S. Courbis info at reactivemicro.com
Wed Mar 28 23:25:44 EDT 2018

"Cracking" software to preserve it is akin to taking a picture of artwork
and letting the original rot away in my opinion.

Sure, some of the original bit patterns are intact, but it's not close to
an original in any sense of the word.  Cracking has its own pitfalls, such
as secondary protections within the program which check if the protection
is intact.  And of course the most major aspect is the art which is the
copy protection is totally lost.  So in my opinion few is any disks have
really been preserved.  One however could argue unprotected disks like
System Masters are preserved.

So as in the picture analogy you do get an idea of what the disk contained,
however its in no means "preserved".  Closest I can come to a definition is
"emulated".

Luckily we have some hope on the near horizon - Applesauce:
https://wiki.reactivemicro.com/Applesauce

It will fully backup Apple II, Commodore, and Atari disks.  And by "backup"
I mean preserve the actual flux transitions as they appear on the floppy
medium.  It's really neat to be able to see the disk's fingerprint.  They
way the fluxes are laid out allows for each image to be IDed much like a
fingerprint.  You can see damage to a disk, and even when the drive head is
dirty.
https://wiki.reactivemicro.com/Applesauce#Applesauce:_The_Software

Over 3000 sides of Apple II protected programs never before imaged have
been achieved with no issues.  These will be released with a new website,
and users of the Applesauce will be able to upload their own images also.

Even better news is Applesauce is about to be released for presale.  I've
had the pleasure of working with John Morris and seeing a lot of the inside
workings of his project.  Truly the greatest Apple II project there could
ever be and it's going to be a real game changer for the retro Community.
We also have plans for a hardware based floppy emulator to fully take
advantage of the new .WOZ format for newly imaged programs.

There will proably be some chatter here about the release, but be sure to
subscribe to the ReActiveMicro.com Newsletter to know instantly about sales
and project release updates:
https://www.reactivemicro.com/news/email-newsletter/

</end shameless plugs>

Henry S. Courbis

Office Toll Free: (800) REACTIVE (732-2848)
Office/Mobile Direct: (856) 779-1900
www.ReActiveMicro.com <http://www.ReactiveMicro.com> - Sales, Support, and
News, Our Headquarters on the Internet
ReActiveMicro.com/wiki  - Support, Software, Manuals, and History. Create
your own page today!
Facebook.com/reactivemicrousa - Our Social Media Outlet and Support

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 7:29 PM, Christopher Gioconda via vcf-midatlantic <