[vcf-midatlantic] talk at VCF-East on audio cassettes for data; stuff

Richard Cini rich.cini at gmail.com
Thu May 10 19:35:16 EDT 2018

Herb --

	This is an interesting topic because I did some work on this for the Altair32 Emulator. I just dug the code out and it was just about 10 years ago. I was trying to add the ability to directly read WAV files (22050Hz, 8-bit) from within the emulator and Bob Grieb helped me with the Fast Fourier Transform code needed to make it work and tought me a bit about DSP and filter design. The add-on basically became a WAV-to-digital converter based on the Altair ACR recording format. I don't think it ever made it into the main code tree because of the inability to locate WAV images at the time.

Rich

--
Rich Cini
http://www.classiccmp.org/cini

On 5/10/18, 5:45 PM, "vcf-midatlantic on behalf of Herb Johnson via vcf-midatlantic" <vcf-midatlantic-bounces at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org on behalf of vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org> wrote:

    http://www.retrotechnology.com

    my home page starts with Web links to my VCF-East talk, and to a Web
    page stuff I'll be selling there as a vendor.

    http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/cass_data.html

    There are adults alive today, who have *no idea* what an "audio
    cassette" is! Shocked me. Learn how the Ancients communicated in tones!
    Lost technology, recovered by experts, even as we speak. Voices from the
    past!

    http://www.retrotechnology.com/vcfe_may18.html

    Less exciting fare. I'm adding more by the day. Lights that blink,
    boards covered with chips, clicky keyboards. Some of you know me - ask
    me about something I have you don't see.  Root around my domain to see
    more. No IMSAIs No Altairs pls, light stuff OK? Surprisingly, I don't
    get axed much, about old Macs.

    Herb "The Beep" Johnson

    http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net