[vcf-midatlantic] talk at VCF-East on audio cassettes for data; stuff

Kyle Owen kylevowen at gmail.com
Fri May 11 00:38:29 EDT 2018

This may be too beyond audio cassettes, but I figured I'd share.

I never really was interested in this portion of my first PDP-8 haul, but I
ended up with a Tennecomp Fidelipac drive. For those unfamiliar, these were
commonly used for commercial breaks in radio stations and the stations'
jingles. Similar to 8-track, but they didn't have a built-in pinch roller.

I have yet to see if the unit is functional, and need to figure out where
the interface card is (if it came with the interface, even), as I would
like to digitize the tapes. Fortunately, I've got a friend with some radio
station cart machines, so I could possibly record them to audio files and
reverse engineer them from there.

So yes, even a PDP-8/M, ca. 1974, and possibly prior, used an audio tape
system for data storage!

Pictures here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/kBL9gRGF697A0xUT2

Kyle