[vcf-midatlantic] talk at VCF-East on audio cassettes for data; stuff

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Fri May 11 14:38:34 EDT 2018

> http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/cass_data.html

Thanks for Kyle's discussion of yet another audio cartridge format in
use for data storage; and for remarks by Michael Thompson and Matt
Patoray. I've added that content today to the cassette-data Web page.
Maybe in the future, I'll move it to my PDP-8 Web pages. In the 1960's
and 70's, PDP-8's were the "embedded controller" of that period. Just
needed a bigger bed.

The 8's also used Phillips-type cassettes recorded in a digital format
and driven by logic-controlled drives. DEC had such a product, and I
know of another product used on PDP-8's to operate commercial sewing
machines. The Phi-Deck digital cassette product was available on some
microcomputers of the mid-1970's including the Digital Group; a similar
product was part of the MCM/80 8008 computer of the early 1970's.
Details linked from my Web page above.

Richard Cini, my old friend and S-100 colleague, and I are talking about
the cassette-decoding software he mentioned in his post. I'll update my
Web page accordingly.

I recall some hobby efforts to use 8-tracks on microcomputers, but
(ka-THUNK) they weren't all that convenient, and many 8-track drives
were "read only".

Herb
http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net