[vcf-midatlantic] Idea for an Exhibit - Novell

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Fri May 25 18:39:31 EDT 2018

Itg's unlikely that a modern Ethernet or WiFi device, could perform the
hardware and software protocols corresponding to even older networking
standards, including Appletalk. I think such emulators would have to be
built from the ground up. They are likely painful to build reliably and
flexibly. Remember my concept - sufficient to "echo", handshake some
packets - not a full emulation.

That said, I happen to know, AppleTalk did run "over Ethernet", through
simple devices that physically routed AppleTalk traffic on the Ethernet
wires. But the Ethernet devices themselves, ignored that "traffic" -
probably saw it as bad packets, noise, etc. This was done to put Apple
printers on Ethernet networks - except of course any Ethernet-owning
device had zero access to Apple printers, and Apple computers had zero
access to Ethernet devices.

People who buy Appletalk printer to Ethernet devices, thinking they are
their magic road to "internet their Macs", find out eventually that
won't happen.

So it may be possible, for a few network protocols to share the same
cable. But they would not be "interoperative" - that calls for hard
work. Companies and careers were made, doing such things in the era. We
poor hobbyists live in the shadows of such giants. The amazing thing,
would be to get some ancient networking protocol to work AT ALL. I
suggest humility, and avoid the simple notion "I can plug it in - so it
will work, or could".

Herb

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net