[vcf-midatlantic] IBM compatible joystick needed

Jeff Galinat jgalinat at gmail.com
Mon May 28 08:02:34 EDT 2018

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 2:51 AM, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic <

> VCFed needs a joystick that is compatible with the Compaq Portable III
> (parallel connector, but I don't know how many pins). This is for the Lego
> demo station so I can do some kid-friendly classes starting this summer
> (and also for my HOPE lecture).
>
> Can somebody bring a known-good one to the next workshop?
>
> We may have some in the warehouse but I'd like to have a known-good unit
> for testing. If one of ours works, we'll use that; if not, then perhaps
> yours could be a donation.
>
> Evan,
  I am far from an early PC expert but every early IBM compatible joystick
I have ever seen attached via a 15 pin "game port" provided by means an
expansion card such as an AST SixPack, a sound card or other interface
card.  I don't recall ever ever seeing one that attached via parallel
port.  The thing is you need an analog to digital converter to read the
joystick so a straight parallel port would not work since IBM style
joysticks are analog not digital such as those from an Atari VCS.
Regards,
Jeff