[vcf-midatlantic] Supercomputer is all set!

Evan Koblentz evan at vcfed.org
Thu Nov 8 10:19:28 EST 2018

>> Is it possible to end up with a whole building like that one full of military
vehicles?

Yes! That is the long-range museum plan.

>> Does the camp give those to the worthy, or does each group have to fund the
space?

It's complicated.

The former MARCH group spawned into creation around the second half of 2004
and joined InfoAge in 2005. IA gave us a single 12x10 room because that's
all it had available.

Then in 200(6?) we moved into the next building where we had two rooms. In 2008
we got the next two rooms in that hallway, making four total.

It wasn't until 2015 that we moved buildings again to where we are now,
which is more than 2-3x as big as the old four rooms.

The bigger the space, the more time/money it takes to make it legal and
habitable.

What may happen is our current warehouse will become half storage, half
display. We wouldn't need as much storage because more things would be on
display.

Estimates are about $200K to make the warehouse space into a legal
habitable building.

My personal opinion is that VCF will probably have to raise the funds
itself, because IA isn't good at it.

The military vehicles group also raised their own funds to get a
certificate of occupancy on their building, but they needed much less
(about $40K) because they skipped HVAC, insulation, interior walls, and a
floor! They also have bare-bones electrical infrastructure. That's all fine
for Jeeps and tanks. Not so fine for computers. :)

VCF is in the extremely early stages of making a development plan for such
things, which would also involve renegotiating our lease to be much more
VCF-friendly. It would be dumb of us to put $$ into a building if we didn't
get much greater guarantees about the space.

So: is it our goal? Yes. It is possible? Probably. Is it easy? No.

But consider how we started and where we are now. We've been succeeding at
hard things for a long time.