[vcf-midatlantic] OT: modern cloud services

Evan Koblentz evan at vcfed.org
Fri Nov 30 14:06:33 EST 2018

>> Just to play devils advocate, in this context that’s somewhat akin to
saying “I’m not a doctor, but I play one on tv.” :p Or more on point,
that’s like the people who sail on the ferries every day, hundreds of times
a year, and from observing and talking to the crew and captains begin to
feel they “know” as enough to debate the topic of operating a large
passenger vessel with those that do it.

No, those are terrible analogies. It is my JOB to learn what, why, and how
these companies' IT departments operate.

>> And we all know the fortune 1000 have never made collectively bad
decisions yes?

No. Dude ... do you understand how big cloud computing is? Gartner found
that it was a $260 BILLION industry in 2017.

For emphasis: TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTY BILLION DOLLARS.

But by all means, feel free to think you know better. :)