[vcf-midatlantic] OT: modern cloud services

Dean Notarnicola dnotarnicola at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 15:26:40 EST 2018

* > I think there are a few things we can probably agree on:  > 1) "cloud
computing" is a silly buzzword for saying "their computing (server)
environment and equipment" as an alternative to. "your computing (server)
environment and equipment".   *

No, I can't agree to that. "your computing (server) environment and
equipment" does not the features and capabilities that would qualify them
as true cloud infrastructure with elastic, on-demand, resources. You can,
however, build this into your infrastructure if desired.

*> (I personally think silly buzzwords like this enforce magical thinking
and a lack of understanding.) >  2) There are pros and cons for both
maintaining in-house servers, as well as using online cloud services.
Probably some combination of both is ideal for many organizations. *

Agreed

*> 3) hosting all our data elsewhere gives many of us pause for many
reasons.*
 It should. Don't trust the hype. Understand your requirements and heavily
scrutinize any potential offerings.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 2:47 PM m simons via vcf-midatlantic <