[vcf-midatlantic] MOS LSI chips time frame

Ben Greenfield ben at cogs.com
Wed Apr 10 14:35:04 EDT 2019

To answer my own question MOS-LSI process was a big jump in processing power.
The integrated circuit as the main building block for complex systems could manage about 30 elements where this new process jumped to between 600 to 6000 elements on a chip.

If that sounds wrong to anyone I grabbed it from this paper which actually describes the process change in the context of trying to produce an Autonetics D200.

https://www.computer.org/csdl/pds/api/csdl/proceedings/download-article/50720867/pdf?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJpc3MiOiJjc2RsX2FwaSIsImF1ZCI6ImNzZGxfYXBpX2Rvd25sb2FkX3Rva2VuIiwic3ViIjoiYW5vbnltb3VzQGNvbXB1dGVyLm9yZyIsImVtYWlsIjoiYW5vbnltb3VzQGNvbXB1dGVyLm9yZyIsImV4cCI6MTU1NDkyMTI4Mn0.x4gaSf_b3R3iAYUvcegt17l9vp-Kn14tZbTrMfjU6Vk <https://www.computer.org/csdl/pds/api/csdl/proceedings/download-article/50720867/pdf?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJpc3MiOiJjc2RsX2FwaSIsImF1ZCI6ImNzZGxfYXBpX2Rvd25sb2FkX3Rva2VuIiwic3ViIjoiYW5vbnltb3VzQGNvbXB1dGVyLm9yZyIsImVtYWlsIjoiYW5vbnltb3VzQGNvbXB1dGVyLm9yZyIsImV4cCI6MTU1NDkyMTI4Mn0.x4gaSf_b3R3iAYUvcegt17l9vp-Kn14tZbTrMfjU6Vk>

I also found this reference

The Surprising Story of the First Microprocessors - IEEE Spectrum <https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-history/silicon-revolution/the-surprising-story-of-the-first-microprocessors>

Sorry about the use of First in the head line…

So far those have been the best sources of information on this process and the Autonetics D200.

What I find interesting is that I’m starting to suppose that Silicon Valley is really the home of personal computing and venture capital but it is far from the center of technology.

Hope someone finds this interesting,

Ben