[vcf-midatlantic] MOS LSI chips time frame

Ben Greenfield ben at cogs.com
Thu Apr 11 15:54:51 EDT 2019

Hello Herb,

Thanks for the framing.

My follow-up email should have 2 links one from a paper written by C.F. O’Donnel and presented at the Fall Joint Computer Conference, 1968

This paper describe the fabrication process and the obvious need for computer assisted design to manage the complexity of the masks.
It describes moving the manual process they were using pre-MOS-LSI to computer process.
An excellent paper.

The second link was to this paper written by Ken Shirriff discussing intel and the first microprocessor.

This paper is also a good read. Which touches on the Autonetics D200

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-history/silicon-revolution/the-surprising-story-of-the-first-microprocessors

I have now found a second paper presented at the Fall Joint Computer Conference, 1968 this one by R.K. Booher
Describing autonetics sudy of potential and the problems associated with direct coupled and 2-pahse MOS circuits and devised the 4-phase system which solved many problems.

https://www.computer.org/csdl/pds/api/csdl/proceedings/download-article/50720877/pdf?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJpc3MiOiJjc2RsX2FwaSIsImF1ZCI6ImNzZGxfYXBpX2Rvd25sb2FkX3Rva2VuIiwic3ViIjoiYW5vbnltb3VzQGNvbXB1dGVyLm9yZyIsImVtYWlsIjoiYW5vbnltb3VzQGNvbXB1dGVyLm9yZyIsImV4cCI6MTU1NTAxNTc2NH0.ecMkjf-GZkHK9DpMzogsGeWPNSxxXhmPzRUz7g_Mkoc