[vcf-midatlantic] Hard drive art

Brian Brubaker brianbrubaker at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 11:35:41 EDT 2019

"not all of those whole-drives go to the landfill or become recycled"
I would argue that you may have a limited view as well, and while I
may not have a complete picture of what vintage hard drives are
currently used for, I believe my point is still valid. For all the
points you mentioned, EVERY hard drive eventually stops working and is
thrown away or recycled(aside from the 1% that go to museums).
Furthermore, I would suggest that hard drives with moving parts will
soon no longer be produced or used. I'm no futurist, but I'd bet they
are mostly gone within 20 - 30 years.  I would ask you how long you
honestly think people will be attempting to use these drives from the
60s-80s? I expect my art to last lifetimes, can you say the same for
any vintage computer today? you referred to yourself as the "old-guy",
I'm not exactly in my 20s either. I'm a programmer by nature, and have
a love of hard drives that has existed most all of my life. With that
being said I have had my fair share of drives die, data lost, and
attempts to transfer old data from older storage devices so I
certainly understand your point of view.

Now, at this point I've already disassembled most every hard drive
I've bought, including 36 8"-10" drives, 179 5.25" drives, and about
54 3.5" vintage drives. Over 200 different models. The only things
I've not yet fully disassembled are from 1" and 2.5" drives, I imagine
these don't qualify as vintage. I've sold 90% of the circuit boards,
95% of the scrap aluminum and other outer casing materials. At this
point I've invested about as much as I can into my art supplies, so I
more then likely won't be buying many more vintage drives unless I
start recouping my investment into my hobby turned side business. What
I don't use in my art I sell on e-bay or recycle. I'm more then happy
to sell the things I sell to anyone reading this. I have a collection
of parts I've yet to list, and some I could be convinced to sell for
the right price.. Aside from my art, everything I've sold on e-bay has
sold for under it's value, so I'm not exactly trying to get every
penny I can, I just can't loose $. I would love more avenues to get
old drives, they get harder to find every day.

Doing some