[vcf-midatlantic] Drive repairs, was Hard drive art

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 10:53:36 EDT 2019

On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 9:47 PM Herb Johnson via vcf-midatlantic
> > I have a couple Macintosh external drives that aren't working properly.
>
> I deal in Apple Macintosh SCSI drives. I (and others here) can give you
> some hints about making these run a while longer. Contact me after
> VCF-East and say hello at the show! I'll be a vendor.

I'd be interested in a conversation about Seagate ST1480N drives
(found in some Quadras and in lots of Sun workstations as a "SUN0424"
drive).  I have a couple that work and a couple that do not.  One HDA
makes unhealthy "buzzsaw" noises and is likely a write-off.  The other
spins up then immediately spins down.  I wonder if there's a rotation
feedback sensor in the HDA that's not reporting correctly that's
causing this behavior.

I wouldn't mind being able to copy data from these drives but I know
they were last used in the 1990s and the data on them was mostly the
OS install and any user files were copied off long ago, but I doubt
there's anything magical and wonderful to be found on them.  Just
getting one of them working again would be convenient.  I don't have
that many sub-1GB drives left anymore (I have lots and lots of
Seagates and others in the 1GB-4GB range).

-ethan