[vcf-midatlantic] Repair Workshop

Douglas Perry djay.perry at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 13:14:12 EDT 2019

Excuse me if I'm coming off a bit over eager.

Now that I'm signed up for this months workshop I was hoping to get some
tips on how to properly prepare (supplies needed, ect..)

I'm bringing a Compaq Portable which has only been owned by my family. It
was stored in a guest room of a finished basement since 1993. Not sure
where they kept it before that.

I testing I've done so far is to simply plug it in and turn it on (after
giving it a week in a temp/humidity controlled room). The PSU and fan came
to life nicely, the CRT is making a familiar hum but I get nothing on the
screen not even a blinking cursor. I'm not sure if I should expect an error
with no disk? I also don't hear any drive noise.(I have no disks)

I have a fairly decent toolkit for repairing current machines, as well as a
soldering iron, and multimeter.

>From my research I'm going to go ahead and assume the capacative pads for
for the keyboard are bad and just order a new set.

I've searched fairly well and have not found a reputable place to buy a
5.25 floppy pre-loaded with MS-DOS 3.3 (which sounds like the best option).

So after that ramble here are my questions.
Is there anything else you all would recommend me bringing?

When is the best time show up?

Is there anything else I should know or be doing to get ready?

Thanks,
Doug P.