[vcf-midatlantic] At&t Dataphone - Modem or "Service"?

jaj at totallyamused.com jaj at totallyamused.com
Tue Aug 6 21:45:10 EDT 2019

It was a Service, appears to still be, though likely no longer actively
sold. It's one of the first digital services tariffed by the telephone
companies (started in 1973.) Started as "Digital Data Service" but was
renamed by AT&T as "Dataphone Digital Service".  Both voice and data
transmission are serviced at speeds from 2.4 to 56Kbps. This was
pre-divestiture, so service and equipment were "one", I recall in the
early 80s having a "modem" that had Dataphone on the front and the Bell
System logo, but it wasn't an analog device -- or didn't work with POTS
lines.