[vcf-midatlantic] AT&T Dataphone - Modem or "Service"?

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Thu Aug 8 17:32:45 EDT 2019

On 8/8/19 2:21 PM, Dave McGuire via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> On 8/8/19 10:42 AM, Neil Cherry via vcf-midatlantic wrote:

>> Yup, lots of DS0 (and sub divided DS0s) and T1s. Not so many T3s as
>> those we too expensive.
>
>    Long before those were common for this type of use, there was a big
> crop of leased-line subrate modems that bore the Dataphone moniker, from
> 9600 baud down to 1200, and possibly below that.  These were for
> four-wire leased lines.

Yes switched56 service and T1 DSUs. I used to use Paradyne 740 muxes to break
those out. I can't recall what the previous company name of the 740 was.

I also recall the Baby Bells delivering a special current loop line for
AP News service (I think it was dry). Those were fun, 28.8 baud. :-)
I don't recall anything like a DSU involved but that may not have been
hear the equipment I was working with (5 bit code as I recall but it
was newpaper code not Baudot).

Now I work with 100GE and I hear they're working on 400GE. Progress
marches on ...

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com