[vcf-midatlantic] GW-DEC-1: A New DEC Prototyping Board

W2HX w2hx at w2hx.com
Thu Aug 15 12:56:45 EDT 2019

?agreed

________________________________
From: systems_glitch <systems.glitch at gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2019 12:15 PM
To: W2HX
Cc: vcf-midatlantic
Subject: Re: [vcf-midatlantic] GW-DEC-1: A New DEC Prototyping Board

Connector spacing is actually 0.125" (1/8 inch) :) We'd considered using 0.1" dual row headers for the edge connector breakout, it's still an option but not one I think we're likely to go with.

The purpose of laying out a new prototype board was to get useful pad-per-hole in production. If you want patterns, you can still buy various DEC board shapes from Douglas Electronics, most/all of which have various IC and power patterns on them. In addition to basically being a "style choice," pad-per-hole is the only thing you can use for e.g. PLCC or PGA packages. We figured it's better to make one truly universal board and get the cost down by being able to do at least *some* quantity on the production run, than having a bunch of different designs that all get ran in small and expensive batches. Plus, there's the layout time.

Thanks,
Jonathan