[vcf-midatlantic] Problems we face as collectors/curators: The last lesson of Bob Pease

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Mon Aug 26 19:41:08 EDT 2019

On 8/26/2019 4:01 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
> This is why, when giving museum tours, I focus hard on explaining the
> "so what" instead of technical specifications. Other than storage (how
> many of these doodads are needed to make one modern memory cards), most
> of our visitors couldn't care less about speed, memory, or whatever
> else. They want to know what is this thing and why should I care. If you
> don't make that point early, then you lose them.

So Evan, what works for the visitors you describe? Do they need an
explanation of "floppy disks" or "where's the mouse?". What do they end
up caring about, from what they see, about a world before their time or
outside some technical interest?

The Pease circuits are a harder "sell" because they lack reference to
anything at all, if one doesn't know a wire or an IC or a circuit. But
I'd not sell them - exhibit or curate them - to anyone BUT circuit
designers and period-engineers.

And that's fine, just another specialized collection. Any providence or
function - as Dean suggests is useful - won't work for anyone beyond
those knowledgeable in the craft of design. But -  most of them will see
"obsolete" and lose interest. "Catching" them is like Evan's problem in
catching modern interest in old computers - when both "old" and
"computers" are out of vogue today.

Regards, Herb

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net