[vcf-midatlantic] August Repair Day - Sat Report from Member

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 22:17:22 EDT 2019

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 2:46 PM Andrew Diller via vcf-midatlantic
> As for DEC BCC08 - I found some 25pin adapters but not any 9pin hoods. And the cabling for them was not straight-thru.

Yes.  It's not straight through, it's not PC-AT-serial pinout, and
there's a pair of pins on the DE9 that need to be shorted (console
cable detection).

Crimp pin and solder-cup DE-9s are still available for sale, as are
9-pin hoods.  There are also 9-pin hoods that can be 3D printed (I did
a set a while back for a custom Apple IIc serial cable for ADTpro).

Connecting to 70s and 80s minicomputers often requires being able to
make non-PC serial cables.  It's just how it was before everything was
a PC.

-ethan