[vcf-midatlantic] Cool yet sad rescue coming up this fall

Evan Koblentz evan at vcfed.org
Thu Aug 29 23:33:26 EDT 2019

Everyone,

Sometime this fall, we're going to rescue a pair of SGI cabinets from
the Princeton University data center.

SGI customized the cabinets in black and orange ... because Princeton
Tigers.

Their data center VP said these systems almost certainly can't ever run
again. Too much disassembly already happened. So all he's promising us
are the actual cabinets, not the remaining innards.

However, he asked if we can help disassemble those remaining innards, in
order to make the cabinets lighter/safer to move.

I said what if we agree, but in exchange our guys get to keep those
parts if desired? :)

Waiting to hear back.

I don't yet know much about the system. VP is asking some of his
old-timers to write down its history for us.

Here is a picture: https://tinyurl.com/y6ldajlb