[vcf-midatlantic] Cool yet sad rescue coming up this fall

Ethan O'Toole telmnstr at 757.org
Sat Aug 31 13:54:26 EDT 2019

Heya! Do you know what the cabinet looks like? Usually SGI machines like
the Challenge XL and Origin 2000 are pretty light compared to the other
machines of their day.

I've helped side a Challenge XL down stairs when I bought one years ago
from somewhere out near Blacksburg VA (from someone called F-One
Consulting.)

Also I bought a full rack SGI Origin 2000 a number of years ago and it was
shipped via crate to me.

Both of them are light enough that two people can probably flip it onto
it's back into a pickup with blankets down, although the XL IIRC has a
back door that gets in the way with doing that.

The boards for the XL are the same as the Onyx and Challenge L, it
shouldn't be hard to get those back in service.

The boards for the 4d/480 are same as the 4d/420, 4d/440 and such.
Shouldn't be hard to get those back in service.

The boards for the Origin 2000 are same as the Onyx2 mostly. Same as the
others.

It should be possible to get these back online with sourced boards.