[vcf-midatlantic] Reforming capacitors

Michael Thompson michael.99.thompson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 17:10:10 EST 2019

> Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2019 00:11:34 -0500 (EST)
> From: Mike Loewen <mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us>
> Subject: [vcf-midatlantic] Reforming capacitors
>
>     Before I reform the large electrolytics in my Sol 20, I'd like to poll
> the
> collective as to the recommended procedure. I have a constant
> voltage/constant
> current DC supply, so I can set voltage and current limits. For those of
> you
> who have done this, what's your procedure?
>
> Mike Loewen                             mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
> Old Technology                          http://q7.neurotica.com/Oldtech/

At the RICM we typically current limit the supply to 100mA, and set the
voltage limit to about 10% of the operational voltage. When the current
falls to nearly nothing we increase the voltage another 10%. For very large
electrolytics (60,000 uF) we had to leave them on the power supply for up
to a week to get maximum capacitance. We also found that we get higher
capacitance when reforming them at the operational voltage, and not at the
rated voltage.
--
Michael Thompson