[vcf-midatlantic] Reforming capacitors

William Sudbrink wh.sudbrink at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 18:31:16 EST 2019

I've just "brought back" two Sols.  I did not find either power supply in
need of capacitor reforming.  I brought each power supply up on a variac,
powering a dummy load (multiple 1 ohm, 10 watt, resistors).  I brought up
the variac over the course of an hour, checking each stage of the supply.
All smooth as glass.  I then let the supply drive the dummy load for a day,
checking regularly.  No problems.  The only issue was that all of the
unregulated S-100 supplies were out of spec.  This turns out to be a design
issue, with a specific engineering note to address it (adding a bucking
transformer) which I applied.

Hope this helps,
Bill S.