[vcf-midatlantic] How to best store vintage ICs

Henry S. Courbis info at reactivemicro.com
Mon Dec 16 23:28:39 EST 2019

Hey John.

Foam is better than nothing. Might hold up if sealed in a bag with a
desiccant pouch. You can get static bags, desiccant, and an impulse sealer
from eBay for cheap and one stop. From my experience, I had ICs from when I
was a kid (1990 or so) in some ESD foam I got from my IT internship. I
still have it in a static bag in an ESD box. The foam is much less dense
these days and starting to really show it's age. And it was well used when
I took it from work. So it's held up pretty well considering. 30 years now?
Crap I'm old. It's also hasn't been used more than 20 times since I placed
ICs in it. So if it's going to be low use then I think you could get away
with it. And the desiccant might help with tarnish on any really old NMOS
silver tinned leads. I see a lot of old Apple II 16k, trivoltage DRAMs with
tinned silver and blacked these days.

Tubes would be better I feel also - if stored well. I have some old tubes
from the same 1990 time and they are a bit brittle now. If I'm not careful
I feel I could crush them with my hands now. And I no longer use the
plastic pins in them. Only rubber stoppers. Not that many of these tubes
remain. But I think I have one next to the old ESD foam in the box in the
same tote I never use. IIRC they were from 1Meg x 1bit 80ns DRAMs from
1989, and have a sticker when they were $21 each. Yikes!

For my own business needs I use both foam and tubes. Less tubes however
since they take up more room and don't store as well I feel. I have boxes I
keep stock in. So most tubes won't fit, where some foam and a bag always
fit and can be cut to shape. I can also fit ICs on both sides. I feel a
shoebox and some foam could store a few hundred ROMs for example. I don't
think I can get a hundred ROMs in tubes in the same box. Not that I store
that many anyway. For my main ROM storage I used USPS tube boxes (triangles
really) and taped them together and wired them under a shelf. Long tubes
fit well in them and don't take up any shelf space. Simple to segregate by
type and size, and simple to add to if needed. USPS might frown upon the
few tubes of theirs being 'misused'. However I digress from the ethics and
morality angle. I'm sure I could probably find tubes or similar boxes at a
store if I wasn't lazy or repurposed old boxes I had laying around.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Henry S. Courbis

Office Toll Free: (800) REACTIVE (732-2848)
Office/Mobile Direct: (856) 779-1900
www.ReActiveMicro.com <http://www.ReactiveMicro.com> - Sales, Support, and
News, Our Headquarters on the Internet
ReActiveMicro.com/wiki  - Support, Software, Manuals, and History. Create
your own page today!
Facebook.com/reactivemicrousa - Our Social Media Outlet and Support

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 4:47 PM John Heritage via vcf-midatlantic <