[vcf-midatlantic] Museum Report 2019-12-21 December 21, 2019

Martin Flynn maflynn at theflynn.org
Sat Dec 21 20:21:00 EST 2019

On 12/21/2019 4:55 PM, Jeffrey Brace via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> Got to the museum at 12:30pm. I was a little late because I had to teach
> Taekwondo today and there were no other docents available. A visitor came
> about a minute later with high interest, so I gave him an extended tour.
>
> The day was filled with a steady stream of visitors due to the Model Train
> Holiday show at InfoAge. Most were casual visitors with children who were
> mostly interested in games, etc.
>
> Mouse came to help Martin to string network wire in the 9010-A section
> (where the museum is). They worked for about 5 hours to wire the 9010-B and
> 9010-A sections. Thanks Mouse and Martin!
>
> The physical wiring is done with some networking hardware and software
> configuration needing to be done next.
>
> VCF will soon have hard wire access to the internet and not have to rely on
> Mobile Citizen for internet access.
>
> I also tried out new bottoms for the stools in the museum. We have caster
> wheels which we felt were dangerous to child visitors because they could
> easily fall when the stools moved suddenly. The new casters are flat
> instead of wheels. We are trying it with one stool to see how it goes.

Jeff,

To give credit where due, Mouse and myself had help from Steve and Ken
from GSMRC as well.

Last portion of this project is the run of coaxial cable across the
attic of the visitor center.

For those interested, The physical layer is Ethernet over coax, (MOCA
2.0 protocol) at 1GB between the new data rack in 9010B to the core in
Building 9059.

Martin