[vcf-midatlantic] Regarding Evan Koblentz and VCFed

Ben Greenfield ben at cogs.com
Sun Dec 22 07:12:44 EST 2019

Hello Corey,

Thank you for letting us know the Board’s perspective.
I would say the situation is much as I expected, a group of amateurs turning professional is always painful.

> On Dec 19, 2019, at 2:41 PM, corey cohen via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:
>
> In my earlier email I mentioned the creation of a new VCFed steering committee managing the museum and the collection at InfoAge. Some of you have asked about Evan’s role in this transition.   Evan has chosen to leave his official role at the Vintage Computer Federation.
>
> As a founder of our group we had hoped that Evan would continue in his role as Executive Director of the VCFed organization and as a member of the steering committee.  Evan has chosen to not be a part of this new organization.
>
> We all recognize that, without Evan, there would likely not have been a VCF East.  He was also responsible for so many of the artifacts in our collection that might have gone to the scrapper instead of being saved for future generations to appreciate and understand.  Evan has been critical in getting out the word on our community and has been the “social media” face of VCFed.   Evan has contributed so much more to our group and our hobby that it would be impossible to list it all.  It is my hope that Evan will finally be able to enjoy attending VCF East instead of running it and that he will be able to exhibit his Lego robots there for us all to enjoy.

The passion that drove Evan while forming this organization is alawys right below the surface and he is obviously uncomfortable with something about the organization.

I would like to see the Board acknowledge Evans foundational work by some sort of substantial naming, such as naming the archive to this date after him.

I think this would be a nice gesture of good faith by the board.

I’m also believe it is very in-appropriate for board member to gossip about private board conversations on a public mailing list.

I hope the next time the board gets together you review the how wrong that is.

Thank you,

Ben