[vcf-midatlantic] Dialup, was Museum Report

David Gesswein djg at pdp8online.com
Sun Dec 22 10:28:11 EST 2019

On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 08:08:23AM -0500, Tony Bogan via vcf-midatlantic wrote:

> As to other work, Evan and others have been planning a dialup bbs setup in the museum with multiple machines able to ???dial in??? to it, but it never seemed to get beyond the planning stages for a variety of reasons. We plan to build from that foundation and get those system up in the near future as well.
> As to networking other machines, as Martin pointed out there is some capability already in place with one of the routers but Andy and others have already talked about other networking possibilities.

I was going to ask about what the plans for dialup were. For the museum 3b1 I
was going to bring the "final" disk image to the next workshop. One
of its somewhat unusual features was a built in modem. May have had something
do do with AT&T selling it. Dialup was common for early unix networking.
The 3b1 could demonstrate some of that. Could show uucp file transfer, its
The Store! where you could download and install software, email, Usenet etc.
It can also call into BBS or into other computers.

I assumed dialup won't be done in a short time frame so wasn't planning to
configure this now. I can update the image when dialup is supported and its
capabilites are known or if planning gets far enough add support to the image
I'm setting up.