[vcf-midatlantic] Warehouse Process

laurakid laurakid7 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 22 11:26:24 EST 2019

I am happy to help in whatever way I can (plastic bins, moving stuff, dusting, etc)

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Saturday, December 21, 2019, 10:49 PM, Adam Michlin via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

As many of you know, I do a lot of work in maintaining the VCF Warehouse
at InfoAge in Wall, NJ.

I want to address some changes in process in the Warehouse.

1. As you know, we are more frequently varying the "Featured Artifact"
in the museum. These changes are by Steering Committee decision (and
you, please make suggestions!), not just me, but I store the unused
featured artifacts in the Warehouse. We had a Canon Cat on display, we
now have a BeBox on display and I am pleased to share that the Canon Cat
is now safely stored in a double sealed plastic container in the
Warehouse and the BeBox also has an equivalent plastic container. All
featured artifacts will be stored in this manner for safety,
cleanliness, and ease of more frequent rotation.

2. Going forward, if you donate an item that can fit in a reasonably
sized plastic container, we will provide one. If you donate an IBM/360
(please!), we make no promises about plastic containers but are looking
at other solutions.

3. There will be a new policy for checking out items from the Warehouse
to work on them. Please understand, we are not able to just hand out
anything to anyone, but there will be a process in place to request
items and the decision will be made by the Steering Committee (again,
not just me).

Related to point 2, if you clean one of VCF's computers,  it will be put
back in the warehouse in a *sealed* container (big iron not necessarily
included). The inaugural item for this new policy is our Atari MEGA STe
which has been checked out for repair by member Bill Lange. Speaking of
which, does anyone have a keyboard for said Atari they want to donate to
us? We hope it will be a very near future Featured Artifact when we get
it working!

4. Remember that Canon Cat? It will shortly be going on loan for display
by mutual agreement at Bill Degnan’s Kennett Classic Vintage Computer
Gallery <https://www.kennettclassic.com/> in Kennett Square, PA. Any
organization will now be able to request a loan of an artifact for
display and all loans will be assessed and approved by Steering
Committee vote. It is our goal to get the amazing artifacts in the
Warehouse out for public viewing in both our museum and other locations.

5. We are working on plastic bins in the Warehouse to both organize and
protect artifacts and will be shortly asking for assistance in various
sections to make this a reality. The Apple section is almost complete
thanks in large part to the assistance of Tony Bogan. We will also be
assessing all artifacts including removing any previously missed dreaded
batteries as necessary as part of this process.

Any and all suggestions about the Warehouse can be sent to me and/or the
entire Steering Committee.

Best wishes,

          -Adam
         adam.michlin at vcfed.org