[vcf-midatlantic] Warehouse Process

Adam Michlin amichlin at swerlin.com
Sun Dec 22 19:11:33 EST 2019

Hi Gordon,

You ask some very good questions.

We are experimenting with two different types of containers. One is a
double sealed container made by Sterilite which is reserved for our
featured artifacts and as many of our more valuable or rare artifacts as
possible. While only time will tell about your concerns, rest assured we
will be watching (and smelling) these items very carefully.

This is an example container (and almost perfectly fits an Apple II,
II+, IIe):

https://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-Gasket-Storage-Containers-19314304/dp/B06VSNZ5RC

This brand was recommended by a member who has been using them for years
(admittedly not decades) without problems.

How to stablize the artifacts in these containers is an ongoing
conversation. Having worked in the warehouse for a couple years, I've
seen all sorts of once really good packing material turn to goo. Side
note: complete in box isn't always a good thing to preserve 40 years
later! So no foam, no styrofoam peanuts. I've yet to see bubble wrap
disintegrate (anyone with contrary experience please let me know), so
that is what we are experimenting with now. We also place a desiccant in
each container for moisture and expect to replace these on a regular basis.

The other containers are bought in bulk and of lesser quality and are
primarly used for grouping smaller items. One example, we have
separately sorted all 9 pin and ADB mice in the Apple section. We will
watch these, as well, but these are stored primarily for quick retreival
at events (workships, VCFEast, and such).

All containers were chosen to be clear to assist in more accurately
keeping track of what we have and do not have and where it is as part of
a longer range inventory process.

With that, I should make a clarification. We are not planning on plastic
boxing everything at this point. Primarily because of lack of funds and
space issues (things in plastic boxes generally take up more space). A
few important artifacts per section, donations, all featured artifacts,
newly cleaned/repaired artifacts, and as much of the little stuff as we can.

All your concerns are valid, however the lack of climate control, grime
in the warehouse, and the proximity to the ocean salt water air are the
known evils. Rest assured we are watching the unknown evils. And, in a
perfect world, this will only be a stop gap measure until we can raise
the funds to properly temperature control the warehouse. While I have no
information on when that will happen, certainly we all hope the time
will be measured in years rather than decades.

With that said, anyone who knows better is most encouraged to correct me
on anything. I most welcome advice from anyone with more experience,
never wish to reinvent the wheel, and thank you for your important
questions.

Best wishes,

         -Adam