[vcf-midatlantic] School Preparation for Visiting a Computer Museum

Adam Michlin amichlin at swerlin.com
Mon Dec 23 20:56:18 EST 2019

HI Bob,

Of course, you'll want to consider:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Imitation_Game

Especially with the Enigma tie in.

With that said, are you compiling this list to advise high school
teachers? As a high school teacher myself, the suggestions so far are a
bit overwhelming and might be what we call "not school appropriate". War
Games, for example, is PG from a time when PG 13 wasn't yet a thing and,
as such, there is some coloful language. Some schools don't care, others
do. And movies take up typically at least 2 periods to show. Often a
last (sometimes a first) resort for substitute teachers, but usually not
something that is a go to for a teacher to prepare for a field trip.

"Hackers" by Steven Levy is a great book, but I don't think teachers are
going assign that book (or the Steve Jobs book) just to prepare for the
visit. Very long and (if I remember correctly) a bit risque for the
average high school classroom.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your request, though.

Best wishes,

             -Adam