[vcf-midatlantic] School Preparation for Visiting a Computer Museum

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Fri Dec 27 12:43:34 EST 2019

> Movies/YouTubes/Articles/Books to prepare high school students for a visit to our computer museum(s)
"Our" being the System Source Computer Museum  https://museum.syssrc.com

I'm playing this straight, it's a real question.

If I were making choices, I'd look at that museum's collection, decide
what themes are present in the collection, and then look for materials
that represent them 1) in a reasonably accurate way 2) present any
considerations about how to "represent" them 3) are not overly long in
time or overly technically challenging and 4) are geared for a pre-adult
audience. Teachers have other criteria but I'll leave those to them.

The collection in question, is of course about vintage computing - pre
2000 era -  and seems to include printing and mobile devices and
toy/instructional computers. One kind of choice might be, presentations
about each or some of those subjects.

A Web search of "documentaries about computers" finds all kinds of lists
of *documentaries* about computers and computing. Why those and not
"movies"? Documentaries are typically one or a series which often last
about an hour (each), a convenient time interval. Movies are driven to
be dramatic, entertaining, and sometimes non-factual; of course they
last well over an hour. Some documentaries may have related course
materials.

Movies have been covered. I'm surprised documentaries haven't. Maybe
someone has suggestions? There's plenty of them, and they are of course
described on their own Web pages.

One other thing. There's many ways to present vintage computing. My
experience as a technical person FROM the 1970's era (and so an old
person now), is that younger people today have a different view of
"vintage" computing. One divide is an emphasis (or not) on
video-game-enabled computing. Another divide, is between persons or
objects "in the computing profession" and those not. There's others. So,
a collection presents things and information, which supports one or more
of these and other views.

(shrug) Whoever runs a museum, makes some choices along these lines,
deliberately or not. Of course instructors have their own views, as do
producers of documentaries and movies. So do discerning viewers, if they
are able and willing. "Does this present a point of view that serves my
purposes? or doesn't? or someone else's?". It's a larger consideration
in modern life. It's worth a thought for this particular matter and this
particular museum.

Regards,
Herb Johnson
old techie by profession