[vcf-midatlantic] Security camera installation underway / Museum report (Saturday)

Evan Koblentz evan at vcfed.org
Sun Feb 17 16:20:58 EST 2019

Yesterday was a good one for us.

Martin and Neil installed four dome-style security cameras on our museum
ceiling. We may install two more to get clearer images of the long
aisles. They worked a full day from about 9AM through 5PM.

Martin tested the cameras on a bench before installing them.

Neil and I put an observation monitor on the side of the network rack
facing the docent's desk. Dan J. also helped with the monitor by using
CDL's drill press to create some cable management in one of the rack
side panels. :) That monitor will display live video from each camera in
a separate window.

This was part 1 of the camera installation. Part 2 will happen on
Saturday, March 2, when we run all the cabling (it's PoE) through the
attic. Martin will also revamp our main Cisco switch configuration.
(There is a temporary switch sitting on top of the rack. We used it for
testing. That's going away.)

Part 3, schedule TBD, will be installation of a network video recorder.
Our goal is to record whenever we're open to the public and also
whenever it senses motion during non-open hours.

We also had about 15 visitors in several groups yesterday. They all
seemed to be very interested.

Jeff B. pointed out today that I didn't sweep up the sawdust from when
we drilled holes for the camera mounts ... sorry man. My mistake.