[vcf-midatlantic] Need to Borrow IBM VGA CRTs for VCF East (8512, 8513, or 8514)

Jameel Akari jakari at bithose.com
Thu Feb 21 09:20:06 EST 2019

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019, J. Alexander Jacocks via vcf-midatlantic wrote:

> All,
>
> Does anyone have 2 IBM PS/2 VGA CRTs (8512, 8513, or 8514) that I could
> borrow to use with my exhibit for VCF East?  I could also use 1 Model M, as

I will check when I get home, but I think the answer is yes, I've got two
8512s.  One of them is actually from VCF's collection which I have to
return anyway - if Evan is ok with you borrowing it first.

The other is mine that I'd be happy to loan.

The VCF collection has a number of Model Ms as well; I have one of those
checked out with an unusual Mexico/Latin america layout which I'll bring
back.  I can bring another one as well to loan.

> I only have two, and 3 IBM two-button early PS/2 mice (like this:
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IBM_PS2_hiiri.jpg)

I didn't have much luck finding these for my OS/2 demo last year, but if I
dig up a spare I'll bring it.  I fear that I trashed them back in the day
because, face it, they're awful to actually use. ;)

FWIW, I'm doing an IBM RS/6000 + AIX for teh UNIX team exhibit, and I have
piles of various IBM parts to go with that.

Also if you ever find that your exhibit setup is going /too/ easily and
you're not sufficiently /challenged/ yet, I recommend* installing OS/2
from floppy, or if that's not doing it for you, AIX For PS/2**. ;)

--
Jameel Akari

*this is not actually recommended for anyone.  Ever.
** I have sick thoughts of restoring my P70 luggable just for this, but
only once the RS6k is solidly together.