[vcf-midatlantic] Last call for Group Unix Exhibit

Brian L. Stuart blstuart at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 21 13:55:21 EST 2019

On Thu, 2/21/19, Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> wrote:

>... That said, I think an early UNIX
> is a good idea but I'm less sold on
> doing it by means of simulation.
>
> If I had a known-good Unibus
> PDP-11, I'd seriously consider putting
> So, yes, I think
> it would be great to have early UNIX but I'm in it
> for the hardware.

This has in fact been my biggest hesitation about this as
an exhibit for this year.  However, I don't actually have
any Unibus gear at all.  Between that and the fact that
I usually have the same exhibit at East and Southeast
and as you point out transportation of the real thing is
challenging if not prohibitive, simulation is my best option.

Having said that, I could pull out a 3b1, but I'm pretty sure
someone else is already doing that, and the early research
UNIX is a lot more interesting to me than the commercial.

The truth is the part that I would find most interesting is
a deep dive into Lions' commentary on the 6th ed kernel,
but I don't know how to make an exhibit of that where
it wouldn't just be a poster session.

The other option is that I could do another ENIAC
exhibit.  It just seems a shame to miss the opportunity
to revisit my early UNIX experience in the 50th
anniversary year.  Hence my question whether there
would be interest in early UNIX on a simulated 11.

BLS