[vcf-midatlantic] Just found an Apple IIe and C64

Jonathan Gevaryahu jgevaryahu at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 22:09:10 EST 2019

I have two original C64 PSUs; I saw a few people made replacements for
the PSU, but at least the open design one is too large to fit inside a
c64 psu 'brick' AFAIK.
See
https://greisisworkbench.blogspot.com/2017/03/hi-here-is-my-design-for-c64-and-1541.html
for the open design, and
https://fr.retrogamesupply.com/blogs/news/update-on-the-c64-power-supply?page=2
for the 'closed, commercial' design.

The original PSU is a simple linear design plus a 3052P, a resistor, and
two capacitors for the 5v section, see the schematic at
https://semi-nerdly.ca/2018/06/24/building-my-replacement-commodore-64-power-supply/
The issue is commodore usually(?) filled the c64 and c128 'bricks' with
epoxy or something similar, and this prevents replacing the capacitors
when they inevitably go bad, or when the voltage regulator or diodes
die/short and start dumping rectified 9VAC directly into the 5VDC input
of the c64.

There's no crowbar circuit or fuses on the 5VDC output, and just a 3A
fuse on one pin of the 9VAC output.

--
Jonathan Gevaryahu
jgevaryahu at gmail.com