[vcf-midatlantic] C64 Power Supply Repair/Replacement

Chris Fala chrisjpf33 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 13:40:17 EST 2019

Some people found a way to make it fit.

https://youtu.be/Fej_3XbufRA

This guy also makes the “Nubrick” which Jeff B. and I have.

On Feb 23, 2019, at 10:09 PM, Jonathan Gevaryahu via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:

I have two original C64 PSUs; I saw a few people made replacements for the PSU, but at least the open design one is too large to fit inside a c64 psu 'brick' AFAIK.
See https://greisisworkbench.blogspot.com/2017/03/hi-here-is-my-design-for-c64-and-1541.html for the open design, and https://fr.retrogamesupply.com/blogs/news/update-on-the-c64-power-supply?page=2 for the 'closed, commercial' design.

The original PSU is a simple linear design plus a 3052P, a resistor, and two capacitors for the 5v section, see the schematic at https://semi-nerdly.ca/2018/06/24/building-my-replacement-commodore-64-power-supply/
The issue is commodore usually(?) filled the c64 and c128 'bricks' with epoxy or something similar, and this prevents replacing the capacitors when they inevitably go bad, or when the voltage regulator or diodes die/short and start dumping rectified 9VAC directly into the 5VDC input of the c64.

There's no crowbar circuit or fuses on the 5VDC output, and just a 3A fuse on one pin of the 9VAC output.

--
Jonathan Gevaryahu
jgevaryahu at gmail.com
jgevaryahu at hotmail.com