[vcf-midatlantic] Warehouse fun

Stephen A Edwards sedwards at cs.columbia.edu
Sun Feb 24 18:33:34 EST 2019

Thanks, again, Evan, for the fun at the warehouse last Thursday. As a neat
freak with a love of vintage computer stuff, it was nearly perfect for me.

There is a *lot* of stuff in the warehouse, but lots of it isn't museum
quality and really shouldn't be there (how many broken TI-99/4a's does
anybody really need?). It was extremely satisfying sorting out the wheat
from the chaff and organizing things into standard boxes on standard
shelves and away from the random, waterlogged boxes people donated things
in.

All in all, this was a great experience. I highly recommend it if you can
make the time (I happened to be in the neighborhood, which almost never
happens) and enjoy reducing entropy while getting a history lesson. The OCD
part of me loved starting with a bunch of teetering piles of mismatched
boxes on the floor and ending with all the boxes gone and replaced with
newly assembled rolling shelving units. Speaking of which, I just bought a
couple for myself.

Also: consider what needs to happen when you donate something. Someone
needs to sort through it, decide what, if anything, is worth keeping, and
then figure out where to file it. If you really want to be generous, do
some of that sorting yourself before you donate it. For example, floppies
with personal data (e.g., pirated software) on them really aren't something
anybody's interested in.