[vcf-midatlantic] Sun 3/60 lives again

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 23:55:14 EST 2019

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 11:35 PM Mike Loewen via vcf-midatlantic
>     This has been on my TODO list for years, so it's a good way to start off
> the new year.  I have a Sun 3/60 with 24MB and CG4 video which I've been
> meaning to set up as a diskless client from my Linux server.

Nicely done!  I also have a Sun 3/60 that's a long-term project.

>  Until I get a
> keyboard adapter cobbled together for a Type 4 keyboard, I'm using a serial
> console.

I managed to score a Type 3 keyboard last year.  Somewhere I have a
Type 3 Optical Mouse (with the modular jack) somewhere, but I will
probably have to fashion a Type 4 adapter to get a working mouse.

>     There's a document floating around which describes one user's efforts to
> netboot his 3/60:
>
> http://sites.inka.de/pcde/help/sunos_network_boot.html

Handy.  Thanks!

>     I used that as a starting point, but it was written in 2004 so there are
> additional steps required.  For one thing, bootparamd is no longer included in
> Fedora Linux (since FC25), so I had to make some changes to the FC24 SRPM for
> bootparamd to get it compiled and repackaged for FC28.  Also, FC28 by default
> has NFS version 2 disabled so you have to change options in /etc/nfs.conf to
> enable UDP and version 2.

Very good to know.  I'm not much of a Fedora user (I lean towards
RHEL/CentOS for large boxes and Mint for laptops) but it's handy to
know what's missing or turned off these days.

Thanks for sharing!

-ethan