[vcf-midatlantic] 1990s Unix Workstation Sub-Group

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 13:34:43 EST 2019

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 9:12 AM andy diller via vcf-midatlantic
> Hello - I'm wondering if there are any other like-minded people on the list who are interested in late 1980, early 1990 UNIX workstations.

I have an interest in vintage UNIX.  I go back to the PDP-11, but as
for late-80s/early-90s. I'm interested in m68K workstations by Sun and
others (I have a Sun 3/60, as well as a Perkin-Elmer 7350 and AT&T
UNIX-PC/7300/3b1) as well as early SPARC (SPARCstation 1, 1+, 2...)
I've also been known to run UNIX on VAXen (11/730, 11/750...)
including actual workstations (VAXstation 2000, primarily).

I would prefer a focus on late 80s over early 90s but in part that's
just because once you get to CD installs on 90s hardware, it's just
not that vintage of an experience (vs jumping through the flaming
hoops of the 80s).

I am 9 hours drive from InfoAge, so I won't be around for any actual
gatherings but I'm up for discussions and trading
restoration/installation tips.

This is how I earned my living in the mid-80s through late-90s, so I
have a bit of background with DEC and Sun gear.

-ethan